Dear UCSF Naffziger Surgical Society Members,
In collaboration with the UCSF Department of Surgery 2014 Post Graduate Course, Drs. Nancy Ascher and Madhulika Varma have been extremely helpful in coordinating this year’s meeting with me, Past President Brent Eastman and President-Elect James Constant.
We have changed the format of the annual postgraduate course in General Surgery to conform to the evolving changes in the practice of Surgery toward a more subspecialty focus. This year, the course will focus on the field of Colorectal Surgery and will cover a broad range of interesting and challenging topics. In keeping with the“reunion” theme of last year’s meeting, Dr. Varma and I have selected speakers for the meeting who are Naffiziger Members, and were in-training during my residency years (1993-2001).
Friday, March 7, is designated as our Naffziger Day from 7 AM – 5:00 PM. You are welcome to attend ANY of the PG Course lectures free of charge.
Here are highlights of our terrific program:
- Day One, Thursday March 6, is focused on topics related to benign anorectal disease and the medical and surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel disease.
- Day Two, Friday, March 7, is designated as Naffziger Day. 7: 35 am. We are honored to have Dr. Thomas Russell give us a timely and valuable lecture on the “Affordable Care Act”.
- Annual Business Meeting (Includes Lunch with Reservation) – many important things to discuss and decide about the future of our society.
- 2014 Naffziger Lecture by William Jarnagin, MD, FACS, Professor and Chief Hepatopancreatobiliary, Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Naffziger Rounds in a tumor board format with audience participation.
- Day Three: Saturday March 8, Will address difficult problems in Colorectal surgery. The program will end with some debates and video sessions.
Don’t miss dinner on FRIDAY NIGHT at One Market Restaurant! Seating is limited so please RSVP soon to ensure your place. There should not be a more proud and viable society of surgeons than those of us who have had the privilege and good fortune to train at UCSF.
Carlos Corvera, M.D.
President, Howard C. Naffziger Surgical Society
Associate Professor of Surgery,
Chief, Hepatobiliary and Pancreas Surgery,
University of California, San Francisco,